ROLE OF ARMED FORCES
The Indian Army has the 4th best army on earth and doctrine defines the role of the Indian Army as –
“The Indian Army is the land component of the Indian Armed Forces which exist to uphold the ideals of the Constitution of India.”
As a major component of national power, along with the Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force, the roles of the Indian Army are as follows :
Preserve national interests and safeguard sovereignty, territorial integrity and unity of India against any external threats by deterrence or by waging war.
Assist Government agencies to cope with ‘proxy war’ and other internal threats and provide aid to civil authority when requisitioned for the purpose.
The Indian Navy sees several principal roles for itself:
- In conjunction with other armed forces of the union, act to deter or defeat any threats or aggression against the territory, people or maritime interests of India, both in war and peace.
- Project influence in India’s maritime area of interest, to further the nation’s political, economic and security objectives.
- In cooperation with the Indian Coast Guard, ensure good order and stability in India’s maritime zones of responsibility.
- Provide maritime assistance (including disaster relief) in India’s maritime neighbourhood.
- To play a key role as part of ‘a pluralistic security order’ for a better world.
ROLE AIR FORCE
The IAF’s mission is defined by the Armed Forces Act of 1947, Constitution of India and the Air Force Act of 1950, in the aerial battlespace, as: Defence of India and every part thereof including preparation for defence and all such acts as may be conducive in times of war to its prosecution and after its termination to effective demobilisation. Moreover, the air force, along with the other branches of the Indian armed forces, can assist local and state governments; if assistance is sought by such government during natural disasters and for maintaining internal security.
|COMMON MILITARY RANKS
|Admiral of the Fleet||Field Marshal||Marshal of the Air Force
|Commander||Lt. Colonel||Wing Commander
|Lt. Commander||Major||Squadron Leader
|SEAMEN, SOLDIERS AND AIRMEN
|Warrant Officer||Sergeant Major||Warrant Officer